CONDITION OF MERCHANDISE - All books/items must be in “good general condition” or better.
“Good General condition” is defined as: A complete item as issued by the manufacturer or publisher. The cover (including dust jacket, if applicable) and all pages must be present, intact and firmly attached to the binding. The book has no odors, stains, excessive soiling, moisture damage, excessive markings or pages stuck together.
If the book was issued with an accompanying supplemental item (i.e. a CD/DVD, access code, deck of cards, box, etc.), the supplemental item should be present and usable.
Condition defects NOT accepted:
- Items where the ISBN/UPC entered into the site do not match the ISBN/UPC on the item.
- Page Issues – Torn, loose or missing pages
- Binding Issues – Torn, loose or showing excessive wear or damage
- Cover Issues – Torn, loose or missing
- Damages – Water, moisture damage, mold, or stains or soiling
- Materials with answers/responses filled in
- Excessive highlighting, underlining, or writing
- Repaired / Re-bound Books – Books that have been repaired or re-bound with tape/glue or other means
- Strong odor of any kind (smoke, cigarette odor, musty, mildew).
- Exceeds maximum quantity of each ISBN (see below under Maximum Quantities).
- Books where the title of the book specifies that an access code is part of the item and that code/login is NOT SEALED when we receive the item. The offer amount will be reduced by 30% or rejected outright
Watch the relevant portion of the CKY Books Training Video for our Inspectors here: VIDEO
CKY reserves the right at its sole discretion to determine the condition of any item upon receipt in CKY’s warehouse, and to make price deductions, rejections and/or discard accordingly. By creating a CKY Books account, creating a buyback order in our system and sending the order to us you are agreeing to be bound by these Condition Policies, Terms or Service and other policies on this site.
Maximum Quantities: CKY, at its sole discretion imposes a maximum quantity per ISBN, per account, and/or per IP address. Your seller cart will indicate how many of each book CKY will purchase. You are limited to the number of items in your pulldown menu to the right of the item. Additional copies of books sent to CKY over and above the allowed maximum quantity will NOT be accepted or eligible for payment.
Items not accepted/rejected by CKY will only be shipped back to the Seller at the Seller’s request and expense. Items not accepted will be held for 15 days*; after that time, these items will be recycled, donated, or used to support the community and environment at CKY’s discretion. CKY will email a notice of any deductions/rejections via the email address in the seller’s account after the customer’s order has been processed. This email will note the amount of the deduction/rejection and the reason.
If the Seller would like their rejected items returned, the Seller must contact CKY promptly, through email at email@example.com, to provide payment for return shipping costs.
*15 Days – Items will be held for 15 days from the time stamp on your payment email.
CKY Books automated offering system is NOT able to flag some items and may make an offer on them even though we can not purchase them. Please familiarize yourself with the list below so you understand the item types we will not accept. It is your responsibility to be understand our Condition Policies and Item Types NOT ACCEPTED:
Item Types NOT ACCEPTED include:
- Loose Leaf or Ala Carte Editions of books.
- Teacher’s or Instructor’s Editions Textbooks.
- International / Foreign Edition Textbooks / Eastern Economy Edition / Global Editions or Books that say “Not for Sale in the United States”
- Custom Edition Textbooks. (textbooks printed for a specific school or university).
- Advance reading copies, uncorrected proofs, and/or promotional copies of books.
- Books that state “review copy”, “free copy”, “sample copy”, “examination copy”, “complimentary copy”, “not for resale”, etc… (or “not for sale”) anywhere on the book.
- One-time use access codes & subscription/registration-based software/online course materials.
- Partial sets or incomplete sets (i.e. only volume 1 of a 2 volume set).
- Items where the ISBN the customer used does not match the ISBN of the ITEM.
- Dated Materials/Books, Calendars and Daily Planners, Dated diaries or journals and Code Guides.
This includes law and code/tax guides study guides/aids or any item printed for a specific date/test that has passed.
- Book Club Editions
- Ex-Library books ARE accepted but your payment amount will be 45% less than the quoted price – please note that ex-library books frequently have issues and make up the largest portion of all rejected items.
- ReBound Books/Repaired – Books that have been rebound or that have been repaired
- DVD’s and BluRay Movies missing valid DIGITAL HD Codes WHEN the title states they are part of the item will be reduced by 30%.
- CD’s and Music must be retail versions in VERY GOOD CONDITION. We will not accept promotional copies, notched copies, club copies, etc.. Broken/Cracked CD/Jewel cases will not be accepted and the item will be rejected.
We appreciate you taking the time to read our Used Book Condition Policy. Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org